Saturday, March 20, 2010

Minimal Wave

I've decided to post some of my favorite tracks up on here. I'll try to post a few every week. This week it's all about the new "minimal wave" sound that's creeping it's way into your local hipster venues. Normally, I'm reluctant to go along with such trends, but this sound is clearly rooted in the experimental synth-pop of the early 80's which I'm a fan of. It reminds me quite a bit of some of the work Chris & Cosey were doing. Though retro in flavor, it's really quite fresh and exciting to hear. I say get on it now before the hipsters turn it into some bland fashion pop. The first track is by Oppenheimer Analysis. This is one of the lost gems from the 80's that served as a source of inspiration for the new minimal wave sound. Oppenheimer Analysis is featured on the recently released The Minimal Wave Tapes Volume One along with some other great artists from that era that have found a renewed interest lately.
Next up is a track by Medio Mutante, a group I've only just discovered. I'm expecting great things from this group based on their first ep, Inestable.
I can't get enough of this track!
Lastly, a track by Xeno And Oaklander.
It would seem that they are quickly becoming the stars of the minimal wave sound.
Their 2009 album Sentinelle is probably my favorite
release of this style of music.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you have to watch the videos on youtube to see them in their correct size. Also I'm not sure why writing text between videos on this blog is so annoying and words are oddly cut off and spaced apart. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete